Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Cast Your Vote

We are going to be seeing a lot of these kinds of cocktails over the next few months. Yes, “election blah, blah” has made its way behind the bar. I promise NOT to feature the multitudes of 'candidate cocktails' already being submitted to me from all around the country. (Let the election be OVER already…)

However, I happen to really like Blue on Blue, which is the retro-swanky bar inside the glamorously historic Avalon Hotel in Beverly Hills. They were nice enough to let me shoot my first ever YouTube video there. (Thank God I've gotten much better at it since then!)

Also, September is National Bourbon Month so – although I won’t be voting ‘red’ on November 4 (there, I said it) – it makes sense to include a drink featuring Jim Beam.

Not to mention, with the non-stop media coverage of whether Barack ate a sandwich or a salad for lunch, or whether Cindy McCain wears too much expensive jewelry, I think we could all use a drink!

Obamarita
2 oz Patron Silver Tequila
1 oz Blue Curacao
3/4 oz Fresh Lime Juice
Dash Simple Syrup
Splash Prosecco

Rim a Shake tequila, curacao, limejuice and simple syrup with ice, then strain over an ice-filled rocks glass. Top with Prosecco. Garnish with a lime wheel.

McCainade
2 oz Jim Beam
1/2 oz Amaretto
1 oz Lemonade
1 oz Iced Tea
healthy dash Grenadine

Shake all ingredients (with ice) and serve on the rocks in a Hurricane or tall Iced Tea glass. Garnish with a lemon twirl.

No comments: