Sunday, February 10, 2008

"Sweet Escape" at the Grammy Awards

I always love giving a shout out to my first mentor, Tony Abou-Ganim, aka: The Modern Mixologist. He has already had his own TV show and is one of the busiest men in the bar industry.

So, it wasn’t surprising to hear that he was tapped to create this drink for the 2008 Grammy Awards. He named it “Sweet Escape” after Gwen Stefani’s song with Akon (produced by Interscope Records), and rumor has it that it will be served at tonight’s after party.

Pop Gossip Sidenote: I’m a total Gwen Stefani fan … but rather less impressed by “Akon the Molester of a 14-year old girl” (according to several angry reports such as this one). Well, let’s face it, taking advantage of inebriated young girls is nothing new where rockstars are concerned. Thank goodness bartenders are always on the up-and-up. ;-)

I whipped up the "Sweet Escape" for myself while watching the Grammy’s tonight. The only adjustment I made was a 1/2 ounce less simple syrup than this recipe calls for because I prefer my ‘sweet cocktailian escape’ a little less sweet.
And, I actually like lime with mango more than lemon... But I digress. Give it a shake and rock on witchor bad self!


Sweet Escape
(Created by Tony Abou-Ganim)
1 oz fresh mango puree 1 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice 1 oz simple syrup 1 1/2 oz Ultimate Vodka Chilled Seltzer Water Shake puree, juices and vodka. Pour into a cocktail glass and top with seltzer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your jab at Akon is completely out of context. I'm not an Akon fan, but I hate seeing these drive-by smears.

natalie@theliquidmuse.com said...

Thanks for the comment, Ant. Please, enlighten me.

Both on TV, last night, and on the internet, there are references to this incident. I wasn't there - so I'm reporting what I've heard / read. If you have info to the contrary, I'd love to have it.

As you know, I write primarily about cocktails - so if I'm mistaken when it comes to "rapper gossip" maybe you can give me more info so as to provide more perspectives.

Anonymous said...

Seems tasty! Natalie, what do you think about the vodka brand Velvedere?

Unknown said...

Yum cocktail, and I love this blog, must bookmark it so I can come back more often!