Sunday, August 31, 2008

For the Boys

September is National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month, and fellow cocktail blogger Rick Lyke has shared his personal experience with the disease in an attempt to encourage other men to get tested. Here is his note and some suggestions of what you can do to remain in good health:

“As some of you know, I was diagnosed with the disease earlier this year and had surgery in April in Chicago. Luckily, my cancer was caught early… I was lucky. I did not have any symptoms and my primary care physician told me I did not need a PSA test until I turned 50. At the urging of a good friend who was previously diagnosed with the disease, I insisted on having the PSA blood test. The test caught the cancer early and saved my life. Since my surgery, I've talked to all of my friends about getting tested and started a campaign called Pints for Prostates to use the universal language of beer to reach men about the importance of prostate health screenings.”

1. If you are a male and 40-years-old or older, schedule a visit to your doctor and get the simple PSA blood test.

2. Tell the men in your life over 40 years old to get tested. There are more new cases of prostate cancer detected in the U.S. each year than breast cancer cases in women.

3. Visit www.ustoo.org for more information. Us TOO International works to support, educate and advocate for men with prostate cancer and their families.

4. If you have a website or blog, consider running the Pints for Prostates banner ad or badge during the month of September. Get the code at "Support the Cause". The more men reached with the message about PSA testing and regular prostate health screening, the more lives that will be saved.

No comments: