Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Scotch Gin?

It's Not For Everyone

Gin is making a comeback, and Hendrick's is on the lips of every gin drinker I've spoken to lately. Oh yeah, they had good things to say about it, too...

I collect old bottles, and particularly like medicinal ones. This bottle may just join my little grouping, despite the fact that it is brand spanking new. It is short and squat and brown, with "Hendrick's" right in the glass. Puurrrfect.

And, what's inside is quite the cure, indeed. Remember when martinis meant gin? If not, Hendrick's will ignite your memory. If I smack my tongue against the roof of my mouth and concentrate, I can kinda get the cucumbers and rose petal notes it is supposed to eminate. But, basically, I know all I really need to know...

It hails from Scotland, where it has been distilled in small, handcrafted batches since 1886. It is strong, aromatic, with a manly kick and a ladylike bouquet. Hendrick's may not be for everyone but it has something for almost anyone wanting a quality cocktail.

3 comments:

Dr. Bamboo said...

Gin is my spirit of choice, and although I don't like cucumbers, Hendrick's is good stuff and makes a fine Martini.

I've been a gin evangelist for years, so let's hope more people join the ranks!

Alison Santighian said...

H was given a bottle a few years ago - it's lovely.

Shawn said...

This gin has always intrigued me, and you've steeled my resolve to try it. Lately I've chosen Citadelle -- aromatic flavor at a good value.

Of course, that would be after Derby Day, the first Saturday in May. I'm all about bourbon until then. And probably quite a bit thereafter! Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek...don't get me started.