Friday, May 04, 2007

Ask The liquid Muse

I love getting your questions. Sometimes it takes me a few days to respond to an email but I usually get to it. You Sipsters are the reason I write this blog! I want to know what you want to know.

Sipster Vijay, in San Francisco, has a very timely question. I’ve been so consumed with the Kentucky Derby that I was almost letting Cinco de Mayo slip by!

Hey Natalie,

Just started reading your blog and I love it! Out here in SF specialty cocktails are really becoming the hot thing (I just had one last week
with muddled CHERRY TOMATOES!). Anyway, I'm beginning to experiment on my own at home and I thought this weekend would be a perfect opportunity. I'm having some friends over for a Cinco de Mayo party and I was wondering if you had any concoctions you might be able to share - something fun, unique, and relatively easy to make in slightly larger portions. I have my fav margarita recipe down so any variations are much appreciated.

Thanks! Vijay


Livin La Vita Rita
1 oz. Jose Cuervo Especial
1/2 oz. Smirnoff Vodka

1/2 light rum

2 oz. Pineapple Juice

1 oz. Orange Juice

1/2 oz. Cream of Coconut

Crushed ice


Mix all ingredients together in shaker. Pour over crushed ice.


Sunset Sangria

2 cups Jose Cuervo Golden Margarita
2 cups dry Red Wine

1 lemon, sliced

1 lime, sliced

1 orange, sliced

1 cup seedless grapes, sliced

1 large pitcher


Place all ingredients into the pitcher, mix and refrigera
te for 1-2 hours. Garnish with orange slices and serve on the rocks.

Cactus Berry Cocktail
1 oz 1800® Reposado
3 oz Folonari Shiraz

1 oz Cointreau

2 oz Sour Mix
1 oz Lemon-Lime soda

Splash Lime Juice


Salt the rim of a tall glass. Shake all ingredients except for Lemon-Lime soda, with ice. Pour, then top with Lemon-Lime soda. Garnish with a slice of lime.

*Recipe courtesy of Frederick Wildman & Sons


1800 Fruit Cup

1 1/4 oz 1800 Reposado
3/4 oz Cointreau

3 oz sweet & sour mix

4-6 mint leaves

1 strawberry sliced

3-4 raspberries
3-4 blueberries

Lemon-Lime soda


Shake all ingredients except for Lemon-Lime soda, with ice. Shake vigorously and pour into a tall glass (pilsner or pint glass). Top with soda. Garnish with mint spring.


For those of you who don’t have your favorite margarita recipe down yet, try this one:

The Ultimate Margarita
1 oz. GranGala Triple Orange Liqueur®
1 oz.
gold tequila, such as El Charro
1 oz. Fresh lime juice
Salt

A lime


Rub the rim of a cocktail glass with a fresh cut wedge of lime, then spin the glass in salt. Shake GranGala Triple Orange Liqueur®, tequila and fresh lime juice
vigorously, with ice. Strain into glass and garnish with a slice of lime.

Before I end this Cinco de Mayo post, I have to give a shout out to one of my very favorite tequilas, Partida. It is so yummy, I almost hate to pollute it with anything other than a tiny squeeze of lime. However, it does make a killer margarita!

Man, all this has put me in the mood for a delicious South of the Border cocktail… How long til Happy Hour???

4 comments:

The Girl said...

Yum! Just in time for Cinco De Mayo

Alison Santighian said...

speaking of muddled tomatoes, one of the best cocktails i ever had was tomato lemonade at crystal city's jaleo outpost. fresh lemonade, muddled yellow cherry or teardrop tomatoes, and vodka - at least those are the ingredients i remember - it was GORgeous. can you recreate?

BabsieD said...

Yesyesyes!!! That sounds AWESOME. Do your magic, TLM!!

oxox

Shawn said...

Another question...have you tried Ciroc vodka? I just got my first taste tonight at a DC event. Its flavor was very slightly reminiscent of its wellfont, white grapes. I had it straight up, and also fairly doused with a pom/pineapple blend that masked most of its flavor.