Friday, May 18, 2007

Chatting With The Girls Next Door

My #1 Guilty Pleasure on Larry King Live

I've mentioned a few times, now, that I love watching The Girls Next Door. Much to my husband's dismay (he can't stand the show... though I can't imagine why... hot chicks everywhere!) So, I'm taking a break from cocktails, tonight, to cover my favorite junk-food TV.

When I was at the Playboy Mansion (keeping an eye on the Signature Cocktails I created for the Celebrity Poker Tournament) I was sooo hoping to meet Hef, Holly, Bridget and Kendra but, alas, they were out of town.

Watching CNN tonight, I can understand why it is hard for someone like Larry King to have a hard time presenting Hugh Hefner and his girlfriends to the public on his show. He is used to asking questions to people who are public figures, groomed to give the "right" answers. But, where politicians and movie stars often lack in genuine sincerity, Hef and the girls are completely candid, 100% comfortable in their own skins and lifestyles, aren't trying to win an election or keep ratings high. Despite their show (and its enormous popularity) they don't come across like they're merely promoting.

Holly is Hef's main squeeze, with my favorite, Bridget, in the Number Two slot. Until tonight, I've not been too crazy about Kenda, ranked third in the pecking order. Although she had to ask Larry King what "fidelity" meant (which I must respect because, again, she was real) she came across as more articulate than usual when she explained that where most reality shows are staged, The Girls Next Door captures their day-to-day lives. Basically she explained that things happened so quickly that they didn't have time to become 'fake' before their reality show.

I also applaud Hef for saying that he doesn't like Girls Gone Wild because of its "exploitive" nature. Amen! Where Playboy presents nudity with pin-up class and style, Girls Gone Wild is merely a string of cheap and tacky T & A shots of drunk (and sometimes underage) co-eds. He also chuckled when King asked Hef what he thought about Joe Francis's arrogant boast that one day he would buy Playboy.

Playboy's EIC also said he doesn't particularly care for Hustler magazine but hails Maxim, GQ and Esquire as quality "laddy" publications, closer to his own.

The girls had charitable words to say about Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan and Briney Spears. Unlike the usual spoiled pop culture princesses in Entertainment, Hef's girlfriends come across friendy and compassionate... the All-American model of the Girl Next Door.

And, what does Mr. Hefner have to say about all this? "I'm a lucky cat on many, many levels. At my age, it doesn't get any better than this!" No kidding!

No comments: