Monday, September 10, 2007

U.S. Senate Declares September “National Bourbon Heritage Month”

(Doing My Civic Duty at the Bourbon Festival, this weekend!)

This unanimous declaration by the U.S. Senate, in early August, reinforces bourbon as “America’s Native Spirit.” In doing so, it celebrates the family heritage, tradition and deep-rooted legacy that the bourbon industry contributes to the United States.

(Legal disclaimer from Washington: The resolution also calls for consumers who enjoy bourbon to do so responsibly and in moderation.)

“This is a great honor that the U.S. Senate has bestowed upon the bourbon industry,” said Bill Samuels Jr., president of Maker's Mark Distillery. “The tradition of family heritage, authenticity and craftsmanship behind bourbon is what has made it an American Icon.”

“This recognition is a long time coming … my great-grand-daddy would be proud,” said Frederick “Fred” Booker Noe III, seventh-generation Jim Beam family member and native of Bardstown, Ky. “The U.S. Senate is recognizing bourbon’s unique place in American history and we’re looking forward to celebrating this September.”

Well, I can tell you that I look forward to celebrating the other dark meat, I mean spirit, at the Bourbon Festival in Louisville Kentucky, this weekend. After my whirlwind weekend during the Kentucky Derby a few months ago, I realized how much more I have to learn about the American "spirit."

After a few days of bourbon tastings, cooking with bourbon and Saturday night’s bourbon ball gala are on the agenda, I'm hoping to have discovered a thing, or two. If you will be among the 50,000+ people celebrating, e-me and let’s share a cocktail!

*Photo credit: Claire Barrett

No comments: