Sunday, November 26, 2006

Drink Like the Devil

Terra Cotta’s “Diablo" Margarita

I first came across information for intriguing dining spots at the Tucson Culinary Festival, which took place in October. Terra Cotta was one of the places I put on my “must try” list.

Jason (my husband) and I first went there about a month ago for a Friday night “date.” We sat on the patio,
enjoyed the live music, and dined on the delectable Stuffed Poblano Relleno Platter, featuring two large poblano peppers. One is stuffed with sweet corn rice pilaf and shrimp, and the other (my favorite) is stuffed with adobo pork and sweet potatoes. YUM!

I was also impressed by the bountiful wine selection for which Terra Cotta received the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence. In another post, I will go into more detail regarding the numerous honors bequethed upon James Beard Nominee and Executive Chef Donna Nordin, and her creations.

Getting to the point of this piece, I must highlight the Diablo Margarita which stands out in my memory of that evening. In fact, that cocktail drew us back to Terra Cotta last night, with out-of-town visitors.

The Diablo starts with El Tesoro Reposado infused with Serrano peppers. According to the bartender, the longer the bottle sits, the hotter the tequila becomes. So, whomever gets the last drink from the bottle cannot be a beginner in the ways of the chili pepper! Grand Marnier is used in place of Triplesec. Of course, lime juice and a salt rim complete it.

Whether in the Southwest or beyond, try infusing Serranos with your tequila and serve your guests a margarita they’ll not soon forget!

No comments: