Friday, April 25, 2008

Its lemoncello time again...

Whether you spell it with "limoncello" or "lemoncello," you have one more reason to get excited! Summer is here which means that sweetly refreshing citrus cocktails made with that tangy Italian liqueur abound.

Back in 2006, I shared a recipe for Chef Vikram Garg's (formerly of DC's Indebleu) own home-brewed lemoncello - and I have sworn to myself that I'm finally gonna make it, this summer! Back yard hooch... yee ha!

For those of you too civilized (or impatient) to brew your own cauldron of tart-n-tasty fun, you can use Limonce. It is a bit on the sweet side, which means you don't need additional sugar / simple syrup, in my opinion. And, you can taste a ready-made cocktail Charlie Palmer's Aureole Restaurant.

Head mixologist, Ektoras Binikos, has created a concoction to cool the sticky heat as the temperature rises - and I can't wait to try one when I go to the Big Apple, next month! Salutti!

THE AMALFI

1 1/2 oz Citron Vodka

1/2 oz Limoncé Limoncello

1/2 oz Fresh Lime Juice

2 sprigs Lemon Thyme

Splash of Yuzu Juice (optional)

Put vodka, Limoncé, lime juice and leaves from a sprig of lemon thyme in a shaker with ice. Shake well to extract flavor from the thyme. Strain and pour into chilled martini glass. Garnish with a sprig of lemon thyme.

No comments: