Monday, July 28, 2008

Can Somebody Please Teach Bobby Flay To Make Simple Syrup?

While watching Grill It! with Bobby Flay on the Food Network, I was aghast when the infamous Mr. Flay, during his demonstration of how to make "Limeade Margaritas," said that simple syrup is made of equal parts sugar and water.

Dude?!!?

The
SYRUP in Simple Syrup comes from its viscosity, which comes from using 2 parts sugar to 1 part water.

Geez. Can somebody please give this multi-million-dollar-earing Food Network Star a crash course in basic Mixology?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's called rock syrup i believe....

Bourbon George said...

you can make simple syrup anyway you like. 2:1 or 1:1, its completely up to the user.

Anonymous said...

simple syrup is 1:1
rich syrup is 2:1

natalie@theliquidmuse.com said...

Thanks for the input everyone. Personally, I always make it 2:1. I feel that adds a little "body" to the cocktail. I'm not alone in that thinking...

DrinkBoy.com (ie: Robert Hess) also says that it can be made to personal taste but that traditionally it is 2:1.

However, with cocktails, as with food, I think individuals should make a drink to taste. I was still surprised when Bobby Flay said simple syrup is 1:1. Most bartenders I have come across don't make it that way...

But - keep the comments coming. It is great to hear what you all do.