Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Toast National Hot Buttered Rum Day!

Melt the “winter blues” at the timeless San Francisco watering hole, Elixir, on January 17. Sample $6 Gosling’s Hot buttered Rum Cocktails from 6 pm to closing, which just might make your toes tingle and warm the cockles of your heart!

If staying “cozy en casa” is your game plan, try your hand at whipping up one of Tony Abou-Ganim’s favorite cold-weather recipes. (See more of Tony’s drinks on his newly rennovated website: The Modern Mixologist.)

Tony’s Hot Buttered Rum Batter

1 lb light brown sugar
1/2 lb unsalted butter (softened)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

In a mixing bowl, beat together softened butter, brown sugar, vanilla extract and spices until well combined. Refrigerate in an airtight reusable container for up to a month, or place in your freezer until ready to use.

To make Hot Buttered Rum – In a pre-heated coffee mug combine 2 heaping tablespoons of batter with 1 _ oz. Gosling’s Rum. Top with boiling water and stir well to mix. Serve with a spoon.

Hint: It is best to make the batter in advance so the spices have an opportunity to mingle. And, be sure to remove batter from the refrigerator at least 6 hours prior to serving to allow it to soften.

3 comments:

Fun Joel said...

That's funny! I was just discussing Hot Buttered Rum with some friends the other day. Half of them (and I don't think they were exclusively from warm-weather climes, such as LA) had never heard of it. Whereas to me, it was a nostalgic memory of winter days growing up.

Do you happen to know if a "Hot Toddy" is another word for this drink, or if that is something distinct? I know I could just look it up, but since I'm commenting here already, and you are the Liquid Muse, I figured I'd just ask!

Fun Joel said...

Oh, and Merry New Year, by the way. Have a Great '08!

Anonymous said...

I like it! I'm going to have my own Hot Buttered Rum Day, thanks for posting the recipe, can't wait to try it!