Sunday, July 01, 2007

XuXu

It pays to have an open mind. I got a bottle of XuXu. It's everything I figured I would not like in a tutty-fruity alcoholic product. First off, its pink. And, it has pictures of strawberries on it. I envisioned some sicky-sweet syrupy thing. Finally, its German. Since when do Germans make killer fruity vodka liqueurs in a bottle? I set it aside for a week, or so.

Taunting me from across the room, on my shelf-o-products to review, curiosity finally overcame me. I twisted the cap off XuXu, and poured myself the tiniest sip.

It was not bad. Actually, its quite tasty. It is not too syrupy. It tastes like fresh
strawberries languishing in a vodka martini.

I don't always like my cocktails too sweet, so I decided to taste it over ice cream. Now that was awesome! Great idea for a summer dessert, by the way...

Meanwhile, Allen Katz, a New York Mixologist and Host of Martha Stewart Living Radio's "Cocktail Hour," came up with this recipe - which sounds quite delicious. Kind of like a strawberry margarita but better than at the local Mexican food joint (where they are sicky-sweet).


The Rhube
2 oz XUXU
1 oz Gran Centenario Reposado
1Î2 oz Fresh Lime Juice
1Î2 oz Simple Syrup
Rhubarb Soda*

Shake ingredients over ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Top with a splash of house-made rhubarb soda. Garnish with a fanned strawberry.

*Rhubarb Soda:
Combine 6 cups chopped rhubarb stalks with 1 1Î2 cups of sugar and 1 cup of water. Boil, then simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Strain and refrigerate (for up to one week). Makes 20 oz. Combine equal parts rhubarb syrup with chilled club soda for Rhubarb Soda. (For a shortcut, substitute the rhubarb soda with Izzy's or Blue Sky sodas...)

Just to prove, once again, that being open to new things pays off!

No comments: