Friday, March 09, 2007

G’Vine Is Simply D’Vine

Gin's French Revolution..

The English and French have been at it for years; battling over land, religion, culture and now... gin. Yes, the good old “London Dry” is challenged by a cheeky French upstart. The United States, the world’s largest gin market, is under invasion by the Froggies… (and, might I say, invasion never tasted so sweet).

G’Vine is the first gin to be distilled from Ugni Blanc grape flowers, grown in France’s Cognac region. Distilled in small batches with nine botanicals: ginger root, licorice, green cardamom, cassia bark, coriander, juniper berries, cubeb berries, nutmeg and lime, it is blended with the flowers of the Ugni Blanc leaves, and distilled again. The resulting floral bouquet delights, first, the nose, and then, the palate. As I swoon, shall I mention it is French romance at its finest?

Delicate and floral, spicy and warm (and strong!) the subtle aromatic vine flower, together with the grape spirit, softens the traditional juniper taste inherent in most gins. For cocktail enthusiasts looking outside the vodka box, G’Vine is smooth, well balanced and lusciously versatile.

I wanted to try the cocktail called the G-Spot (what woman wouldn’t?) but I am out of Chambord! So, I went for the G-Man, which is quite refreshing, though rather strong. (And, we all like strong men, no?) I added a splash of grapefruit juice to it, and it is absolutely perfect, for my taste. Try it for yourself…

G-Spot
1 1/2 oz. G’Vine
1 oz. sour mix
1/2 oz. fresh lime juice
1/2 oz. chambord
Shake and serve in a martini glass, garnish with lime wedge

G-String
1 1/2 oz. G’Vine straight over crushed ice in a Collins glass
Fill with tonic
Squeeze a zest of lime

G-Man
2 oz G’Vine
Squeeze of Lemon
Dash of simple syrup
Dash of angostura bitters
Serve on the rocks in a low tumbler glass, garnish with a twist of lemon

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I just tried gVine the other night and it does have a very unique flavor to it, much different from other gins. I'm not a big gin drinker but I liked it.

Adam G

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I just tried gVine the other night and it does have a very unique flavor to it, much different from other gins. I'm not a big gin drinker but I liked it.

Adam G

DCRay said...

Hi Natalie!

You'll be happy to know that Jeff and I tried them all!!! I must say, G'vine is pretty darn good! I especially enjoyed the G-Spot... don't be jealous! The G'mojito was suprisingly good too, who would of thunk?! Jeff's fav was the G'cosmo... and I agree it was darn tasty. Much smoother and a bit sweeter than the "real" cosmo.
All in all, we were honered and thrilled to be at the liquor release party and will definitely be on the look out for G'vine in DC! Props to the Rocket Bar too, awesome place and great addition to 7th Street! Hope you get to check it out someday soon!
Ray and Jeff