Thursday, March 01, 2007

One Week in Bangkok

Day 5: The Accidental Bulimic

Thursday: Woke up at 6 am, with a sharp pain in my stomach. For the next six hours my body became a vessel for uncontrollable, incessant spewing of putrid waste, from nearly every orifice. By 1pm, Jason was advised to call Dr. Wiwat.

The good doctor came to the hotel room, administered a shot in my bum, to stop the puking, so I could hold down enough water to take some antibiotics. He surmised that I had a bacterial intestinal infection, surely brought on by some street vendor food, or unclean water. While millions of visitors come to Bangkok and don’t get sick, there is a percentage of unlucky ones who get the random germ, and I just happened to fall into that category.

Unable to move much, or think clearly enough to work, I slept all day. At 9 pm, I ordered some plain rice in broth. I’d barely gotten it down when it made its grand return. Nothing to do but go back to sleep.

Upside: I lost 5 pounds in 24 hours. And, I caught the Oscars on rerun.

Traveler Tip: Go easy on the street vendor food. Unless you're on a crash diet.

2 comments:

Alison Santighian said...

Oh, sweetie, I'm so sorry you're sick...rest and feel better...

Deb said...

Oh sister.....I am soooo sorry. Lay low (liek you could do anything else?!) and get better!