Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Herbal Therapy

And Why The Postman Rings Twice (or Three Times...)

I get mailed bottles of liquor to review, on a regular basis. The mailman must think I belong in rehab. Knock, knock. "Please sign for the package, ma'am." Swish, swill, goes the bottle in the box. He looks at me with suspicion, as its the 3 rd one this week...

Hey, its my job. I drink cool, new products, then write to you about it. And, I love it. (In fact, if you ever see a lady standing at the traffic light, holding up a sign that reads, "Will Work For Booze!" that's probably me.)

Now, liquor companies and PR people are doing their job by sending me product. As a professional journalist, I write about this stuff for magazines, websites and, of course, The Liquid Muse. Those folks love reviews (most of the time, anyway), and I love having something fresh and exciting to write about. It's a symbiotic relationship.


However, I had an unusual case, recently. When Sipster, David Sandbank, wrote to tip me off about this great vodka he tried, he was persistent. Not only did he follow up with another email but he offered to buy some bottles of the stuff and ship it to me, himself. That was a first.

He insists that he doesn't work for the company, he is simply a fan of Herb's Aromatic Infused Vodka. If that is truly the case, I hope the company sends that guy some vodka. He deserves it.

And, more importantly, he is right about it.

For a long while, now, I've been a fan of herbs in cocktails. In fact, the very first installment of my monthly cocktail column "Cocktail Corner" in Northern Virginia Magazine, last summer, was themed From The Garden and featured three herb-based cocktails from DC restaurants.

Personally,I don't usually like my drinks too sweet (except for the occasional chocolate martini or cream-based liqueur...). I usually go for tart or aromatic. (Hence, my love of citrus juices, Campari, bitters and anis-flavored spirits.)

It is not surprising, then, that Herb's Aromatic Vodka is right up my cocktail alley. Wonderful idea, people. Bravo!

Here's a brief rundown:
  • They come in a delightful box of four: Fennel, Dill, Cilantro and Rosemary
  • They are wonderful for mixing: Killer Bloody Mary, anyone?
  • They are delicious straight-up. Cilantro with a squeeze of lime, or Rosemary with a squeeze of lemon, lightly shaken with ice, in a chilled cocktail glass... Oh yeah, baby!
  • And, I strongly suspect that they will be absolutely stunning in sauces. I'm dreaming of a dill vodka-and-cream sauce over salmon and pasta, right this minute...
What can I say? I love it. Try it for yourself.

Excuse me, now. I'm going to check the mail...

3 comments:

Alison Santighian said...

Sounds delish. I'm going to put it on my list of Things to Do Immediately After Breastfeeding.

natalie@theliquidmuse.com said...

Yes, darling. Immediately...

Deb said...

If a girl was going to serve TWO drinks (besides champagne of course!) at brunch...lunch...what would YOU serve?? Save me!